Tuesday 11 June 2013

Magic!

I took this..........


 And turned it into this!


I seem to have found a new love, the spindle span so smoothly, and whirled so perfectly, the fibre was a total joy to touch and work with, it just flew through my fingers. I felt like I was born to do this! If I believed in reincarnation I'd have said I've done this before. Its so relaxing, natural and ever so satisfying. It felt like working some sort of ancient magic. I get such a kick out of the fact I am learning an art that is over 5000 years old! That's incredible. My Princess and Miss Curly locks wanted a go too, which made me even happier. I sit and wonder who thought of this? Who got sheep's fur between their fingers and started twisting it? Who thought 'hmm I know if I keep twisting and wind it around this stick, I might be on to something'? Was it a shepherd, lonely watching over his flock, under the star lit sky, and he was just playing about and by chance this happened? Maybe it was his wife, who looked at her husbands sheep and thought 'hmm that fleece they have would make such a warm covering for my man, when he's out on the cold hills with the flock at night'? (Memo to self.... I really must research this). Either way its an amazing art, one I hope to master, one I absolutely love and am so happy my chicks think its great too, today in school they learnt (among other things) to take some roving from a sheep, draft it and turn it into yarn, now what mainstream school teaches that?!
Next when my wonderful husband, Mr Incredible allows me some more pennies I shall buy some carders and raw fleece, I can't wait to try the 'dirty' work and make it into roving, oh the fun the Chicks and I will have (not to mention the mess)! Choosing colours and dying it ourselves. Now my next ponder.........what do I make with my first skein of hand spun yarn? Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment